I have to credit my landlord Zack with coming up with the idea above. He made a joke about ”Next on this old Trailer” and then I thought that it would make a great column on my blog. So, my trailer redo’s/fixings/projects will now be called, “This Old Trailer.”
Along the trip, the trailer had a few times where it proved its age. It wasn’t the smartest idea to take a vintage trailer on our maiden voyage all across the country. We had taken it for a ten minute trip for an art fair, yet that didn’t really show us how it would be.
The first awkward thing to happen was the brakes going on when the headlights were activated. If we had to rewire right before going on out trip it may have been difficult. I was able to disconnect the brakes easily since I saw where we had reconnected them. This is something that I will try and figure out later.
The front of the trailer lost a few screws (which could have damaged the tires) and while we were on the dark road at Yellowstone at midnight one of the metal corners came loose and was scraping against the road. (This terrified us yet it was an easy thing to remove).
The pieces to the front of the trailer that held the rock guard on came loose. I was able to remove them and keep them safe in the trailer. One side of the trailer had a dent from the moving truck. It dented it in quite a bit and made the side of the window guard off. I tried to tap this back out as much as I could.
The piece needed to be secured better this time. I purchased some exterior liquid nails and added this between the two areas. The edges I added some new Butyl tape. I then trimmed it and then added some flexible sealant to both this and the areas on the trim that had opened a bit during travel.
The wall with door started to come loose from the flooring. Stuart helped to bang this back while we were in Indiana. I should have added more screws originally and this made it come loose while driving. Stuart already fixed this in an earlier post.
During travel the air conditioner that I installed was a little too much weight for the seating. The screws that held the wall up were not long enough and it didn’t hold it together well. It made a huge gouge in the wall. I am currently fixing this and will show the after later.
I also have no idea how these metal strips came out like this. This shows how much things were tossed around. I think they originally went under the green area. I ended up just folding them up against it and screwing it down.
This also happened to the walls. Here is where the awning poles were. They scraped against the trailer and created these marks. I am lucky that they didn’t create large enough sparks and start on fire. This is behind where there are curtains and I think that I am just going to leave them be. I wiped them off a bit, yet it isn’t worth the effort right now to try and fix it.
The trailer got a must needed bath. It did have the whole country’s worth of dirt on it.
To the left is the clean side. I couldn’t believe the difference.
I put the table back in place and added the glue where that was needed as well. It is amazing how constant vibration will make something come apart. I didn’t realize how important glue was. Here it is now ready to work in. I already started the drawing for my post card that I will be sending out to my Kickstarter contributors.
It is amazing to be able to be in this space again and create again. It is an amazing feeling!