Thanks to my donators I have great new tires on the trailer! While my trailer was at the St. John’s Bizarre, a local person recommended Sutton Tire and Chain to get some used wheels. I had already stopped in there for a quote and decided to try it out. She called up her connection for used wheels and he happened to have two! I decided to go for it since it may be one of the only times that I could find such a deal. I ordered two tires for them and got them within a few days. Kim felt that my old tires were actually in decent enough shape to be used as spares. The former owner must have replaced the tires at some point. They would have worked for a small trip, but not for our over 3,000 mile trip.
Here they are!
I wanted to get a great quality tire and I am pleased that I was able to find some Goodyear tires. Below is how we took it apart and to see the brakes below.
First we took off the wheels and below was a lot of spider eggs.
I cleaned this off and got it ready for the new tires. My friend Jeremy used to work for a local tire company and did tires and wiring for lots of trailers already. He gave me a great deal on this! We wanted to check the brakes and also repack the bearings. First, you tap off the round piece in the middle.
Below this was the brakes! Jeremy says that they looked to be in great shape! The brake line had been cut and this may have saved the brakes for me! Very happy about this because I may need brakes in Maine.
After doing this, we went off to a few car supply shops and got new seals for the bearings. This is where it was nice having someone who knew what they were doing because I would not have known that they needed to be replaced.
Here are the parts.
We (or I should really say Jeremy) put it back together.
At this point we were ready to put the new tires on! Jeremy put one on but it wobbled! This was no good! This meant that it wasn’t going to work. We had gotten this far and it wasn’t fitting! I didn’t know what to do! Jeremy then thought that there were things called wheel spacers. Basically the new wheels had a smaller opening and they wouldn’t line up against the rear because of the small lip connecting the two pieces. We went to the car store again and they happened to have one (2 pack) 4 lug spacer left! I bought them and they worked great! I was so relieved! I didn’t know what I was going to do otherwise.
The other major thing that we did was to rewire the brakes. They had been cut and not connected to the current wiring. The original connector was taped up and after taking off the tape, we realized that it was just a basic 4 prong piece that did not have braking capabilities. We cut this off and got a new 7 prong end. Jeremy added the new wire and connected them to the new circuit. He changed them all over to the new piece.
My neighbor Autumn just happened to have bought a truck recently that used to be used to pull horse trailers. It had a braking system inside it! We were able to set it up to check the lights and the brakes. The brakes worked! This was such a great relief!
I would have to say that the trailer looks really great with this style of truck! It won’t look as good with a Uhaul, but that is fine with me. It will also be sad to not be able to eat any of my veggies that are growing in the gardens. The future tenants here will have an amazing amount of tomatoes!